- Proven work experience as a web designer
- Demonstrable graphic design skills with a strong portfolio
- Solid experience in creating wireframes, storyboards, user flows, process flows, and sitemap
- Proficiency in Photoshop, Illustrator or other visual design and wire-framing tools
- Experience working in an Agile/Scrum development process
- Excellent visual design skills with sensitivity to user-system interaction
- Ability to solve problems creatively and effectively
- Up-to-date with the latest Web trends, techniques, and technologies
- BS/MS in Human-Computer Interaction, Interaction Design or aVisual Arts subject
Through the description of the required skills in the job template above, we can get a general idea of what a web designer does. It provides lots of information about what skills are needed, which design tools one should master, and which technical skills are required.
For a better understanding and to help guide new Web designers, Mockplus has divided Web designer skills into three categories: professional skills, technical skills, and soft skills.
Web Designer’s Professional Skills
Then from the aspect of professional skills, the necessary proficiencies of web designers are as follows:
1. Design Tool
Craftsmen always have a set of tools. As the job descriptions listed above, a web designer must use several essential design software applications. Although it is now possible to design websites in a web browser, tools such as Photoshop, Sketch, and Mockplus are very useful tools for image processing, icon design, and prototyping. Using the right tools at the right stage will make your work more effective.
PS (Photoshop): powerful image processing for graphic and web design.
Adobe Illustrator: referred to as “AI”, is a very good vector graphics processing tool, mainly used for font design, graphic design, product packaging design, book /magazine layout, and illustration design.
Adobe After Effects: referred to as “AE”, is a graphic video processing software introduced by Adobe. In a nutshell, it is a dynamic version of PS, which is very powerful with a complicated operation.